When you want recipes for breakfast, the first place you should turn is Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s cookbook Vegan Brunch. This girl knows how to take the typical breakfast ingredients and whip them into a frenzy of delectable breakfast or brunch treats. Of course, roasted potatoes aren’t anything fancy, but these babies come out of the oven boasting the perfect consistency. All my life I’ve been making potatoes incorrectly while under the impression that potatoes can be roasted, from start to finish, to perfection. I was wrong. The trick is to first bake them and then roast them to perfection.
Unfortunately these bad-boys don’t keep well, so prepare as many as you expect will be eaten in one sitting. Oh darn, you'll have to eat them all! *giggle* Serve roasted potatoes alongside Caramelized Onion Frittata or Basic Scrambled Tofu with Tempeh Bacon. Potatoes also pair nicely with Country Fried Seitan smothered in vegetarian gravy (be sure to include a vegetable like steamed kale!).
Perfect Roasted Potatoes
2 1/2 Pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tsp salt
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
1) Preheat oven to bake at 425⁰ F.
2) Line an 11 X 17 inch baking sheet with parchment paper (If you don’t have parchment paper, spray the baking sheet with cooking spray or lightly grease with olive oil).
3) Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and then into 3/4 inch pieces. Place the potatoes in a bowl and toss with olive oil, and then sprinkle with salt. Spread the seasoned potatoes on the prepared baking sheet.
4) Bake potatoes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. At this point, remove the tray from the oven and use a spatula to flip the potatoes (you may not successfully turn over all of the potatoes, this is fine, just do your best). While you are flipping the potatoes, switch the oven to roast.
5) Return the potatoes to the oven and roast for 5 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned on the outside and tender on the inside (keep a close eye on your potatoes so they don’t burn). Grind pepper over the potatoes to taste and serve.
Tuesday, 24 May 2011 20:00
The secret to perfectly roasted potatoes awaits you.
Read 1003 times
Published in Breakfast
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated.
Basic HTML code is allowed.